Tuesday 23 March 2010

Office 2.0

Google docs.
I already use Google docs for spreadsheets, and find them fairly intuitive and immensely helpful. I know others report sluggishness, which is a definite downside. I was also unable to access Google docs for several hours whilst in the middle of important work with a very tight deadline, and found that deeply frustrating. And it's overly complicated to save docs to hard drive or to email them (compulsory conversion to PDF for the latter was very annoying), but I saw some suggestion in the "new features" list that this has now been revised. I've yet to test it. Overall, the positives outweigh the negatives, and it is definitely something I shall continue to use.
I'd not used the text documents, nor the form. I didn't even know what a form was. Text docs seem fine - I don't mind having minimal features, as those that I would use most often are all there. The form doc is great! I'm not sure how I would use it at work, but for personal use it is very easy to set up, and looks good. The retrieval of answers is also straightforward.
Here is my form:


I also tried the presentation doc, and again, very easy to use.

ThinkFree
I'd never heard of this. I had a go via Internet Explorer, as couldn't access Google chrome on the shared computer I was using. It was quite slow, and I gather this is simply a problem with accessing it through an old browser. The text doc. features seemed fine (certainly more than in Google), and the note doc. offers a series of very easy-to-use layouts, including one for a newsletter, which could be useful.
Again, I found it hard to tell where (and indeed whether) documents were being saved.

No comments:

Post a Comment