Thursday 18 March 2010

Wikis


Had a look at the Oxford web 2.0 wiki at http://socialouls.wetpaint.com, and only found one instance of OULS to change to "Bodleian Libraries". Doing so was straightforward. I'd not really heard of wikis as such, though I confess to using Wikipedia quite frequently for a quick overview of a subject and for further references (when a source such as DNB cannot help).

For the second "thing", I had a look at the Wikipedia entry on Walter of Chatillon, and made a couple of changes to the page. We'll see how long they stay there. I suspect not for very long, if online accounts of ruthless Wikipedia editors are true. I would never have thought of changing or adding to an entry before, so was surprised to find myself having a go. I can see how it could, for some, become an obsession, as well as being extremely time-consuming. For this latter reason, I suspect I am unlikely to tinker much in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment