Wednesday 10 March 2010

Twitter


I've been intrigued by Twitter for a while, and felt I was perhaps missing out on something by not using it. Signing up was fairly straightforward, but once in it's baffling. I tried the sites recommended on 23Things for library/librarian tweets, and got a bit carried away, signing up all the librarians listed on the first list. I then panicked, as people started to follow me. It feels intuitively wrong to befriend strangers, so I removed them all from my following section. I didn't know, of course, that each of them would be notified that I was following them, and so now have the embarrassing situation of being followed by some people who thought I was following them, but whom I had since removed from my list. I hadn't realised that there would be such immediate and visible responses to following people.

I can see some fun in following Twitter for personal use, but have yet to be convinced in the work sphere. I think more familiarity and time to browse are needed here.

I'm about to have a go at more advanced Twitter activities for Thing 16, and I expect similarly embarrassing and chaotic events to ensue.

After a pause, not much more to report. I am finding it difficult to find anything very worthwhile.


No comments:

Post a Comment