Wednesday 3 March 2010

Podcasts

I've fallen behind again, on account of failing to acquire any headphones for the audio tasks. I've now kindly been sent some by the User-Ed. department. I've just had a quick look at the main podcast sites listed in our instructions. I am impressed with the University of Oxford site in particular. It's wonderful to be able to listen to lectures remotely. I hope it doesn't tempt students not to go to lectures, but as a resource in general, it's fantastic. The BBC list was also quite good, and fairly easy to use.

With the major podcast sites, it is hard to know exactly what one is listening to. I could listen to something on Medieval Monasticism, or on the buying and selling of Rare Books (both of which I tried), but without knowing who is doing them, I find it hard to put any trust in what is being said. Is there a way, on these podcast sites, of seeing more information about the source?

I can see that some podcasts from reputable sources might be nice to link to from a departmental homepage.

It seems easier to see where the information is coming from on Youtube. The description tends to be fuller than those I found for podcasts. There is a staggering amount out there to do with libraries, special collections, and book production techniques, some of which could be useful (after much viewing and filtering). The University "channels" appear to be, unsurprisingly, a safer bet, and there seems to be much worth looking at there.

No comments:

Post a Comment